How to Apply to the Abbey
At Portsmouth Abbey, our admission process is created to give each candidate the ability to demonstrate their abilities and potential to be a member of our community.¬† During the process we ask you to tell us about yourself and your talents, and in turn we provide you the opportunity to learn about the Abbey by connecting you with our students, faculty, parents and alumni.¬† This checklist is to help you thoroughly complete the application process while learning more about Portsmouth Abbey School and community.¬†
Step 1: Inquire Online
- Complete our online inquiry form under the heading of Admissions: “ Inquire Here”¬†For Student-Athletes and Student
- Performing/Visual Artists you can also inquire through the following designated links:
Step 2: Schedule a Visit and Interview
- All candidates are required to have a personal interview.
- Please call with possible dates and our visitor coordinator will provide you with the availability of tours and interviews.¬† You can contact Mrs. Ann Motta at 401.643.1248.¬†
- We will create a visit to campus that will "fit" your needs. We do host interviews off campus.
Step 3: Complete Standardized Testing
- Students applying for the III or IV Form (9th or 10th grade) are required to take the upper level Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT) prior to January 31st. Our school code is 5860. To register for the test please use this website: http://www.ssat.org/ssat/test/test-reg-online.html
- If you are applying for the V Form (11th grade) or higher we will also accept either the PSAT or SAT.
- If you are a non-native English speaking applicant, we also require the TOEFL. Our school code is 2227. To register for the test please use this website: http://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/register/
Step 4: Complete the Application
To apply to Portsmouth Abbey School we ask that you use the on-line Gateway to Prep Schools application process. You may access the application and forms through our website or by visiting the Gateway to Prep Schools¬†at www.gatewaytoprepschools.com.
- Complete the Candidate Profile and submit with application fee to initiate the application process.
- Complete the Candidate Statement.
- Complete the Parent Statement (optional).
- Submit Recommendation letters.¬† Portsmouth Abbey requires a recommendation letter from your English and math teachers.¬† The recommendation forms can only be accessed once you complete the Gateway Candidate Profile.¬†
- First step is to ask people if they will recommend you.¬†
- Once you receive confirmation from a person (teacher/school administrator) you will need to enter their email address in the recommendation section of the Gateway application so your recommenders will receive the forms via email.¬†
- They will be asked to complete the recommendation form on-line and submit to Portsmouth Abbey School
- Submit School Report and a copy of your official transcript. This form should also be submitted through Gateway.
Step 5: Meet the Deadlines
- All admission material must be submitted by January 31st.
- All financial aid material must be submitted by January 31st.
- Notification of the admission decision is on or before March 10th.
- Confirmation of enrollment is due by April 10th.
- All applications submitted after the January 31st deadline will be reviewed on a rolling admission basis.\
¬†Thank you for applying to Portsmouth Abbey School. I look forward to reading your application.
Mrs. Meghan M. Fonts
Director of Admission