Monastery Lends Artwork for Exhibition in McEvoy Gallery

Head of Visual Arts Mark Nadeau curated an exhibition in the McEvoy Gallery featuring artwork from the collection of the Portsmouth Abbey Monastery this past May. The exhibition included a drypoint intaglio print from 1914, an oil painting from the late 1900s, a watercolor from 2005, and a Roman fragment from the Baths of Caracalla believed to be from the second century A.D. The School extends special thanks to Br. Sixtus Roslevich, O.S.B. for his assistance in securing the artworks.

Additional Information Regarding Artists and Artworks in the Exhibition:

Max Beckmann. Weeping Woman (Weindende Frau). Drypoint intaglio print. 1914.

This print was made in an edition of 50, plus four known state proofs and five known trial proofs. The Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) has one print. MOMA has stated “This is thought to be a portrait of Beckmann’s mother-in-law. Her son, Martin Tube, was killed in action in October 1914.”

 

Frederick R. Childs. Tiverton, R.I. Oil on canvas. N.D. (no date), 1960s–1970s.

Frederick R. Child (1908-1978) was a Manhattan-based post-Impressionist painter and a graduate of Harvard University. He was the father of the late Dom Alexander Luke Childs, O.S.B ’57 (1940-1976) who is interred at Portsmouth Abbey Cemetery. The Portsmouth Institute sponsors an annual lecture held in his name.

 

Colin Kerr. Jesus as a Flower. Watercolor, graphite on cold-pressed watercolor paper. 2005.

Colin Kerr is a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design and son of the late John Hoare Kerr ’49 (1931-2007). John Kerr was the director of education at the National Endowment for the Arts from 1978-1984. He was a Roman Catholic Oblate of the order of St. Benedict. John Kerr is interred at Portsmouth Abbey Cemetery.

 

Roman fragment from the Baths of Caracalla (built between A.D. 212-216/217).

The typewritten paper label adhered on the reverse reads “Relic from the Thermae Caracalla (Baths of Caracalla) Rome, date about 210 A.D. It was picked up there in August of 1900 by William Lanyon of St. Louis, Mo., and presented to him in June 1928.”