Dear Parents and Student/Athletes,
I want to take this opportunity to provide information on our preseason athletic program. The preseason athletic program is for experienced student/athletes in forms III-VI in field hockey, football, boys’ soccer and girls’ soccer and volleyball. Students who return for preseason have prepared for the physical demands of 2-3 practices each day by following the workout program located in the athletic section of the Abbey website. Preseason is short and intense and physical preparation is the key for individual and team success. If you have any questions about the preseason athletic program do not hesitate to contact me.
Al Brown, Director of Athletics
Tuesday, September 3: Preseason begins. Registration in the Squash fitness center 10:30-12:00
Saturday, September 7: Preseason ends @ noon. All team BBQ behind Squash fitness center
The school does not open until Tuesday, September 3. Most students who arrive early make arrangements to stay with teammates who live locally or stay off campus in a hotel.
Each student must have their physical exam complete and on file in the Medical Services office prior to arriving for preseason.
All athletes are housed with their team during preseason.
Football: St. Martin’s
Field Hockey: St. Benet's
Boys’ Soccer: St. Leonard’s
Girls’ Soccer: St. Brigid’s Volleyball: St. Mary's
- All school rules are in effect during preseason. All preseason athletes and parents must thoroughly read the student handbook.
- Day students return home Friday after their last athletic commitment and return Saturday for a morning practice.
- Boarders may not take overnights on Friday.
- With parental permission, returning boarders may take an overnight to their own homes on Saturday, September 7th.
- Summer Conditioning Program
- Summer Agility/Balance & Flexibility Program
- Preseason Packing List
- Preseason Schedule
All Sport Conditioning: AGILITY/BALANCE
Jump Rope Program
2 times per week
To improve athleticism (agility and balance) and cardiovascular fitness, jumping rope has been instituted as part of our summer conditioning. Each student-athlete should incorporate jumping rope into their conditioning program. You can do this wherever you are! Please bring your jump rope to pre-season.
June 15-July 25
- Feet together: jump and bounce, jump-bounce-jump sequence (30 sec.)
- Left foot only: jump-bounce-jump sequence (30 sec.)
- Right foot only: same as above (30 sec.)
- Speed Jump: (no bounce in between jump) (30 sec.)
- Double step: (2 jumps, right foot and then 2 jumps left foot) (30 sec.)
- Repeat feet together (go for your personal best/as many as you can)
July 26-Sept. 2
Increase each exercise to 1 minute
5 minute warm up light jog
Stretch leg muscles to mild tension for 30 seconds:
1. Quads (heel to butt)
2. Hamstring (sit and reach)
3. Groin (butterflies)
4. Hip flexor (one leg kneel with back straight) *do not arch back